Wednesday 11 April 2012

Getting my Song Dong on

Like Song Dong's mother and her belief in the Chinese concept of wu jin yong, or 'waste not', I decided to collect and combine items off the street that were usually ignored: a small stone kicked aside while walking, leftover plastic etc..


I displayed these objects in finished/used jars so that the items were able to stand as things of beauty.


Furthermore, I wanted to collide the man-made world with Mother Nature. 


So, inspired by the Damien Hirst exhibition, I cut out masses of beautiful black butterflies - which actually reminded me of Hitchcock’s 'The birds' only less menacing, and much prettier.













Having made several jars, I was just not ready to part with them...After all, most everything can be re purposed in some way...right? 


So for now, they remain on my shelf...

1 comment:

  1. the contrast of the black butterflies to the colorful junk held in the jars show how much life is reversed at times in someone life...the color is bursting to come out of the containers while the black butterflies( dance around them death/ life...?!) a new life ahead perhaps or should i say a rebirth....a huge hommage to DHirst the povocative child who doesnt cease to tickle us when we least expect it...

    ReplyDelete