Thursday 26 July 2012

Keep on wishing...

As an art lover living in London, I could not resist the idea of visiting Yoko Ono's exhibition 'To the Light' at the Serpentine Gallery. 

I just love Yoko Ono and her work. Not only is she a really cool lady, but she's a crazy one too, just like my wild friend Maja (who kindly came along with me!)

On this sweet summer day, we were lucky enough to be encircled by a lushness of green and beautifully covered in a blanket of slowly running clouds.


Yoko Ono (famously married to John Lennon) has been creating contemporary art for nearly 50 years now. The 60s were a massive influence on her and the themes of peace, happiness and love are evident in nearly all of her work. 

Most of Ono's work calls upon viewers to engage and interact with them. 

For example, as we stood outside the back of the Serpentine Gallery, we were immediately confronted with an all-white chess set. Children were in awe of the giant chess pieces. I loved the stunning simplicity of it and the fact that it reminded me of how we are, at the end of the day, all the same.


But my favourite bit of the exhibition was Yoko Ono's uplifting 'Wish Trees' placed just outside the entrance. 

Yoko Ono made these 'Wish Trees' following the death of her husband, John Lennon. It was a concept that has stemmed from Hindu mythology and that has also played an important part in her childhood.

Yoko Ono once said that: "As a child in Japan, I used to go to a temple and write out a wish on a piece of thin paper and tie it around the branch of a tree. Trees in temple courtyards were always filled with people's wish knots..."




You were asked to write a wish onto a tag and then tie it on any of the trees. There was a breeze when I did it, so all the wishes were fluttering in the wind like large white butterflies.



It looked beautiful. Everyone was looking at everybody else's handwritten dreams that were all choked up on the delicate little, brittle branches. 













Yoko's mesmerising maze made of perspex was another one of my favourite's (I would just love to own something like this in my house...) 


Entitled 'Amaze', the journey was rather amusing yet also confusing... Maja almost got knocked out as she bumped right into the transparent walls on numerous occasions, (the noise echoing through the gallery and in her head too...) so you may want to take your time.



Overall, the whole exhibition was hopeful, refreshing, loving and not to mention free! I definitely recommend going...

Yoko Ono...I adore you lady!

No comments:

Post a Comment