Wednesday 26 September 2012

A dash of milk and one sugar please

I thought I would share with you the first sneak peek at a very exciting new project I was working on last week. 

For my jewellery design pathway at Central Saint Martins I was given the title 'Ways of seeing'  (- I never thought that I would see the day when I would be following in my mum's footsteps as a jewellery designer!)

I had the most amazing and inspiring tutor who really emphasised the importance of conceptuality and work that goes beyond traditional jewellery ways. There was to be NO butterflies, hearts, flowers, or even necklaces, bracelets and earrings....what?!

He liked to call jewellery: 'Three-dimensional design to the body'.

We had to consider many things such as the location, form, size, scale, narrative and the resulting attachment you have to it. 

So this was my outcome...


As a Brit and someone who is weirdly and admittedly drawn to things that suspend I chose to look at the infamous British teabag. There is just something about tea that can be the ultimate comfort. 

I like to believe that tea has the ability to solve all problems...

However, the one problem I  am having at the moment (which the teabag itself cannot fix)  is the trouble with retrieving our vibrant, flavoured friends from their relaxing hot bath. It always seems to result in scalded fingers and mess all over the counter...(and yes, it has happened to me on numerous occasions!)  




But fear not! Because this wearable teabag piece that I have designed and made is the perfect way to hook and hold on to that one mischievous teabag that usually floats about freely in your cuppa.







So, you can relax and enjoy it now. 

And not only can you say no to burnt fingers but you can also retrieve a beautifully tea-stained piece of clothing.

I just love the lovely subtle browns and those darker tan spots that the tea has left behind on my white t-shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment