Wednesday 26 September 2012

Marge Simpson

This week I have been working on my fine art practise. Yesterday we were asked to make a sculpture using any items we could find lying around the house. 

I fell in love with the simple perfection of these discarded bottle caps in our recycling bin, so I couldn't wait to create something new out of something that was sadly left behind. 


I started by stacking the bottle caps, one on top of the other. 

The outcome was a totally intense bottle cap sculpture. 

As it stood against the wall, it looked like a sort of modern day version of hieroglyphics or perhaps the start of a bottle cap city...

But what I was really addressing here, I guess, was the severe problems we are having today with over-consumption and the importance of recycling... 


Yet, all seriousness aside,  my art is usually about looking at things in a slightly different way, and thus, this piece is intended to undermine the current situation we are in with wit and humour. 

Hm...does this happen to remind you of anyone?




No comments:

Post a Comment