Monday 7 October 2013

Little pearls of wisdom

I have eagerly been waiting all summer long for the Victoria and Albert Museum to open their ‘Pearl’ exhibition and...today was the day.
As I entered the first room, I was immediately engulfed by a huge maze of black space. It felt like I was about to descend into the deep dark depths of the ocean. Oh – how appropriate! The scent of wealth hung in the air like a pendant of gold and (like a child) I could barely focus on the huge cloud of cabinets set out before me.  
Sliding past the opening painting which kindly greeted me at the doors, I couldn't help but dart straight over towards the first collection of magically glowing orbs.

As I stared at them (for probably a very inappropriate amount of time) I couldn't help but overhear a couple of charming, couture-clad ladies (who were sporting their own little iridescent gobstoppers by the way) gasping and gossiping directly in front of me.They seemed to be in awe of something and I was eager to find out what all the commotion was about. 

I decided to walk over in all my wonder and curiosity. I began to scan over what the two women had just read on the huge mounted wall of writing and suddenly, it hit me. 

A huge secret had just been revealed to them...and now to me too.


Ever since I was little, I had always been told that a pearl was formed by a small grain of sand that had entered the oyster's shell - oh how wrong my sources were...

After believing this so-called 'myth' for the past twenty years of my life, I can now say that I know the full truth behind how these little sea treasures are formed...and ironically, it is not so glamorous. 

It turns out that our precious pearly whites are actually formed by parasites. 

Really?! 

I glanced back over at what I thought to be the most dazzling and jaw-dropping collection of them all, only to realize that now, I was in fact looking into a dark park of dead parasite cocoons. 

But, this was actually a truly amazing revelation. It made me realize that among all the gems that mankind hungers for, the pearl is absolutely unique. It is the only gemstone that forms entirely within a living being. They really are the oddest but most interesting of things. Nature constantly amazes me.

A favorite of mine at the exhibition had to be the pearl necklace belonging to Marilyn Monroe which was said to have 'reminded her of happier times'. I also liked the modest pearl earring worn by King Charles I at his execution - I loved how such an intimate object was worn at such a controversial event in history. 


Another piece that caught my eye was the great 'pearl of Asia' - one of the largest natural pearls in the world (about the size of a walnut). Truly breathtaking.


In addition to this, I was also impressed and taken aback by the large buckets filled with countless amounts of soapy-colored pearls. A really amazing piece, symbolizing the dangers that the pearl market might face in the future of over-production. 


Upon leaving the exhibition, I had one last thought about pearls within my discipline area, jewellery. 

And the V&A has ultimately taught me that pearls within jewellery have no limits. 

Nicola Malkin's incredible giant pearl stud earrings and double stranded giant pearl necklace that we are confronted with at the finale of the exhibition certainly confirms this. She is pure proof that pearls continue to inspire jewelers in exciting new ways and judging by the size and scale of this exhibition, that is more than likely to continue. 

No comments:

Post a Comment