Sunday 29 December 2013

A Wellcoming experience

Never did I ever think that I would be able to visit six different countries within a couple of hours...

At the Wellcome collection's latest exhibition titled 'Foreign bodies: Common ground', six artists from six different countries provide a culturally relevant and bright, eye-opening insight into the world of health and medicine today.

With a theme as rich as medicine, it was no wonder I witnessed so many varying ideas of science and diverse mediums of art. 


I discovered mirror world too...




Now despite the amazing range of work on display, there was really just one piece in particular that I had fallen in love with, and well, I just basically couldn't take my eyes off of it, I must of looked like I was on something or other... 

Katie Paterson’s ‘fossil necklace’ was just so stunningly surreal.

When entering the dark, cavernous room (to which this piece lived) you were taken aback by its ghostly presence.  

I found myself face-to-face with this hanging ornament made from 170 carved and rounded fossils (the oldest bead being over 3.5 billion years old) with each representing a significant event within the evolution of life. 

From a fossilized bee to a fossilized ear bone, this piece had me looking further and further into the universe. I actually felt like I was in a land before time.


Inspired by genetics, the history of human evolution and archaeology, Paterson merges the notions of time and history oh so beautifully.


It's graspable form is held together by miniature looking worlds. 


Hmmm what will future fossils look like?

One thing I am certain of though, is that this necklace would go perfectly with my little black dress for New Years eve! 

Imagine just wearing 'the history of the world' around your neck whilst embarking into another year, another chapter of life's evolution...


Ultimately, in such a simple space, the atmosphere of this exhibition was totally compelling. I wish I could have informed you all on the other works there too, but that would be telling...go take a look at them for yourselves, the exhibition will be up and running until February 9th 2014!

I have a feeling that Katie Paterson's exploration of this complex concept of time and history (that interested the works of Zhang Enli too) might just be the path I want to take for my next project….

Hm…I guess it is time that will really tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment