Friday 27 December 2013

Jameel prize 2013

Warning: This exhibition contains eye-fooling contents throughout...

Let me introduce you to... 



Upon entry you are immediately transported into a whole new world via that truly magical carpet ride you've always dreamed of. 

(OK, fine… so I maybe exaggerating a little… I am certainly no Aladdin and it's not really a magic carpet, but it truly is the closest thing! )

Nada Debs' concrete carpet (inlaid with mother-of-pearl for punctuation) really does take you on a surprising journey.

I found the piece enrapturing. It moved me into a cold, modern world of gimmicky creation. I could really feel it's sense of weightiness as soon as I saw it. I felt heavy but enjoyably confused as I witnessed something so seemingly traditional yet cleverly made with such a great and well-known contemporary material.


Moving on,  I noticed the work of Laurent Mareschal, a French artist who also creates his carpet using some more deceiving and unusual materials.  


I know, I know, you wouldn't have guessed it...

This ephemeral, stretched out, site-specific carpet is made from our everyday materials such as spices, soap and food. His work is deliberately fragile, and Mareschal expects his audiences to participate in transforming it too– for example, by eating the food!


I couldn't believe the crisp precision of all the lines and edges! I liked how it wasn't totally perfect though...I could see a few smudges here and there and that just proved to me that those ornate tiles really were made from those deceiving and unusual materials we all know oh so well. 

Gazing in amazement at the piece, I suddenly felt like a child, I had the incredible urge to blow on the piece and experience that gentle and sensual whirlwind of spice and colour...one can only imagine what it might be like though!

This whole exhibition was so inspirational, especially for my 'transformation' project I still have to work on...

With my Christmas homework in mind...designer Florie Salnot really stood out for me. She transforms discarded plastic bottles into beautiful pieces of jewellery. A craft she also created to empower Saharawi refugees.

(I was now no longer in the Arabic world of abstraction, but more so in the Sahara of surrealism.)


The process is somewhat simple. By cutting painted plastic bottles into fine strips, weaving it around nails and finally submerging it in hot sand, Salnot has the power to make the non-precious, precious. 


Totally mind-blowing.

Few of us would believe that this intricate and delicate “Plastic Gold” jewellery is in fact made from something considered to be ugly and worthless. 



I guess it's true then...all that glitters is not gold. 


And finally, meet the winner, Dice Kayek. 

This fashion label (established by sisters Ece and Ayşe Ege) is a true Turkish delight. 

Their collection ‘Istanbul Contrast’ evokes Istanbul’s architectural and artistic heritage and...well....I'm in love.


No comments:

Post a Comment