Thursday 15 March 2012

Pop

I am rather obsessed by 60′s fashion. I find the way girls did their makeup and dressed accordingly to their body types to be amazing. The cut crease, the dark liner, the high-arched brows, the matte complexion, the dresses, the hair! It’s all oh, so me.

Its style was influenced mainly by pop music, street and teen culture with designers like Mary Quant hitting it big in London. Ultra Minis were the rigour as were psychedelic pop art prints and adorable shift and baby doll dresses. It was all about bright colours contrasting with each other as well as experimenting with new fabric and texture (PVC Go-Go boots anyone?)

So...having discovered that ‘Pop’ was this year’s theme for our House Fashion competition, I was rather excited!

For my fashion piece, I decided to use the humble balloon as an inflated fashion statement. I also used the balloon to symbolise the fun, freeing and partying atmosphere of the 1960s, which is something the teen (and adult) could appreciate. Furthermore, the rubbery high-shine material was an attempt to mirror their way of experimenting with new and unusual fabrics as well as to up the overall impact. 








However, having made the dress, I still felt like there was something missing. So I decided to experiment and decided to combine the two things that get me most excited: bubble wrap and fashion!

The final result was a pair of gloves that looked as if they had been Yayoi Kusama-ed!



Ultimately, the bolt of bright colour defiantly made our performance go down with a pop!















A sneak peak:



3 comments:

  1. you were right, those gloves gave your outfit a pop, both visually and perhaps literally too, right?? ;D

    Great work!! You really caught the spirit of Pop 60s style...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the name of your blog, very poetic full of promise.

    Continue!! J'ai hate de voir la suite!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAYYAYAY(oi) LOVE those gloves!

    ReplyDelete