Saturday 24 March 2012

Raw beauty #3

I then sought to investigate the potential of wool fibres and the various ways to manipulate them.


Thus, I decided to grow some mustard seeds in a sample of felt that I had previously made. This was an experiment to further explore and remind us of the fact that there is beauty in things that don't last forever, things that aren't always perfect and ultimately things that aren't permanently finished.


Day 1:



Day 2:


Day 3:


Day 4:


Day 5+:






As you can see, the experiment was successful (yay!) So, therefore, I will plan to plant these seeds within my felted garment. 

I will plant the dress in soil and then water the dress every day, ensuring that the seeds are captured within the creases of the felt and will consequently germinate.

Then, like everything, the plants will inevitably wilt and die, completing the circle of creation and growth.

I aim to think that this garment will be as ephemeral as the bruised-pink blossom that is now flowering outside in my back garden (thanks to these surprisingly warm, sunny days in London!)


1 comment:

  1. where there is patience and love there is often growth...the light factor ..the time of day the right feeling and sometimes good communication with its subject brings out the most wonderful surprises.....and plants do that so well

    ReplyDelete